November 11, 2008

Our Solemn Gratitude

Hold your heads high, Veterans. Our country may be going down a path, for which you didn't serve. But, for those of us who understand what America means and what she stands for, we owe our highest admiration for your service. I know many of you live each day knowing you have friends and fellow servicemen resting in peace. Whether their body lies in US soil or lies in a cemetery across the world, their sacrifice was not in vain. This country can have all of the ball players and movies stars and singers it wants, but you, those who have served honorably on the field of battle and those who have served honorably for our county, you are the real heroes for which America should yearn to have. Coming from a family that has a great military tradition, I cannot begin to describe the feelings of pride and patriotism that emanate from days like today. My great-great-grandfather served in the Spanish-American war of 1898. My grandfather served in WWII in England and in France. My other grandfather was a Marine during the Vietnam era. My uncle served in Somalia. My wife served in Qatar. They emptied themselves to serve their country. Simply since the English language isn't capable of expressing it, all I can do is stand in awe and say "thank you."

No comments:

Post a Comment

Comments are this blog's property. Any comment deemed to be in poor taste will be removed.